New Year’s Eve

We all awoke with a bad taste in our mouths from the terrible loss last night, but since it’s New Year’s Eve, we brushed our hands off.  We had a lazy morning, and then Pappy, Papa Rod, Uncle D, Matt, Chloe, Cole, and I decided to treat ourselves to Mexican for lunch – and to ease the pain.  Then, we loaded up the kids and sent them to the lake with Pappy and Papa.  Uncle D came home with us and we had a lazy afternoon of football and naps.  And since our kids were gone, we were ready to hit the town.

We started the night off with the dear Ross family along with the Glasgows, Schriners, and Sarah and Will (not sure of their last names).  It was a great time of great food, great wine, and great friends.  I forgot my camera, so I’m just using the pics Courtney emailed me.

I think my best laugh of the night was Matt and A. D. sitting at the “kid table” and me squeezing in between Noel and Heather and making them as uncomfortable as possible.

We were then escorted by the police (Mitch) to the Ryman to see Old Crow.  That was also a fun experience.  I’ve never been in the back of a cop car, and they sure do make it as uncomfortable as they possibly can for you.  Mitch dropped us off at the Ryman, and it was a great show.  Old Crow played until well after midnight, so when the show was over we walked to Broadway to catch a cab.  That’s when the night took a turn.  We COULD NOT find a cab.  The sidewalks were filled with people also trying to catch a cab.  And, did I mention that it was storming?  Freezing, raining, thundering, lightning, windy….  and we were just standing in the middle of it soaking wet with half of Nashville trying to catch a cab.  Finally, I waved one down, opened the door to hop in, and this couple pushed me out of the way and hopped in!!  It was unbelievable!

We ended up calling Mitch (again) and he saved the day for us.  He picked us up in his cop car because he was still on duty, drove us to switch to his other car, then drove us home…..  only to find that we were locked out of the house because our garage door opener was in our car at Courtney and Jason’s house.  Once again, Mitch saved the day and got us into the house.  We owe him BIG TIME.  It was three o’clock before we got into the house, and I do NOT do 3:00.  I’ll repeat, I DO NOT DO 3:00.  Matt, A. D., and I all threw our soaking wet clothes in a heap on the floor and went straight to bed.  I do not remember ever being that cold, wet, tired, and miserable!  But, it was a great night up until the looking-for-a-cab part of the night.

The next day, we slept really late, and for lunch we cooked cheese grits, collard greens, black eyed peas, corn bread, and I put A. D. in charge of the hog jowl.  GROSS!  I did manage to take one bite for health (if that’s not an oxymoron!), but that’s all I could get down.  Since the kids were at Pappy and Papa’s, the rest of the day was spent lounging around and watching football.  A. D. left late afternoon, so Matt and I had a date night and went out for some good Italian.  Tomorrow after church, we’re picking up the kids.  We’re already excited to see them!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s